Monday, January 4, 2010

At Sea

After experiencing our first Caribbean sunset on board the Wind Surf, we decided to make a reservation for dinner. The Wind Surf has four dining venues to choose from plus room service. The casual option 'Candles' seemed like a good place to start. Outdoor dining on the Main Deck serving Steaks... mmmmm. We quickly realized most of the other passengers were making reservations for the whole week! We couldn't think past the first night let alone know what we wanted to do for the rest of the week so we figured we'd wait and plan later. This, it turned out, was not the best idea, but more on that later.

As we were sailing as part of a group, we had a private cocktail party organized by our host where we met the rest of the members of the group. This is where we met a couple of other fellow travel agents from Ontario, which worked out well as we now had dinner and drinks companions.

After our sumptuous steak dinner at Candles, we headed up to the Compass Rose Bar for some drinks and entertainment. Now, keep in mind, Wind Surf is a small ship, so no big Broadway shows, just small intimate ensembles. Perfect for the relaxing atmosphere we were embedded in. Before we knew it, it was midnight and time for bed.

The next morning we awoke to the bright Caribbean sun shining into our cabin and after dragging ourselves from our comfortable bed, realized I was nauseous. Yes, I was seasick! We had a whole day at sea and I was not going to spend the day feeling queasy! I remember some old advice about keeping my stomach full when seasick and so Glen and I headed straight out to breakfast.

We went to The Veranda where they were serving hot and cold buffet breakfast, or a la carte. After forcing down a few mouthfuls of toast I realized I was immediately feeling better! Thank goodness. Now I could enjoy a full breakfast and then spend the day working it off, lying in the sun by the pool, reading my book.

Well, I lasted only an hour under the hot sun and then had to move into the shade of the Pool Bar to read my book. Turns out my pasty white British skin can't handle more than a few minutes of the searing Caribbean sun. But, before I knew it, it was tea time and I was more than halfway through my book! Amazing how quickly the time flies when you are having fun.

The evening started off with a cocktail reception with the Captain and Hotel Manager and an overview of the following days shore excursions and sightseeing highlights presented by our Cruise Directors Greg and Moira ( from Sarnia, of all places!) then dinner in Degrees.

Degrees
is reservations only, 6 course meal. Quite the culinary experience! At this point, we realize, it doesn't matter where we decide to eat, it's going to be fantastic fare.

We turned in early after a day of sea air, the subtle sway of the ship lulling us into sleep.



No comments:

Post a Comment